- Incubation Committee Representative John Leung
Scale computing requires a small and stable set of tools to remotely manage machines. The hardware management specification incorporates a set of existing tools and best practices and leverages existing tools for remote machine management.
The activities of the Hardware Management Project will be in the following areas.
- Manageability Interface & Capabilities
- Standard manageability interfaces, which include the following capabilities
- Resource discovery
- Configuration and update
- Asynchronous eventing and notification
- Baseline manageability capabilities across the following Open Compute projects:
- Data center facility
- Rack and power
- Provide guidance and feedback to other Open Compute projects extending the baseline manageability capabilities
- Overseeing the OCP’s repository for OCP Profiles
- Baseboard Management Controller
- Baseboard management controller (BMC)
- Out-of-band manageability interface to the BMC
- In-band (system or host interface) manageability interface to the BMC
- Rack Management Firmware
- A rack manager manages OCP platforms installed on one or more racks, and
- exposes that manageability to the rest of the datacenter
- The rack manager is the combination of open-source rack management firmware executing on a contributed rack management controller
- The rack management firmware will expose an interface which conforms to an OCP prescribed interface.
- The activities for this area are in the purview of the Open RMC subproject
- Management Controller Module
- The management controller module separates the common platform management hardware and places them behind a connector.
- The module is specified by its connector pin-out
- The module may have one or more form-factors
- The activities for this area in the purview of the Hardware Management Module subproject
- Hardware Fault Management
- Requirements for hardware fault management
- Standardizing system behavior under hardware failures
- Define key baseline requirements of managing HW errors to achieve target service
- Provide reference and guidance on system hardware failure management
- The activities for this area are the purview of the Hardware Fault Management subproject
Regular Project Calls
This project meets on the third Tuesday of every month at 11am ET
These meeting are recorded via audio and video. By participating you consent that these recordings may be made publicly available. Any presentation materials, proposals and meeting minutes are published on th respective project's wiki page and are open to the public in accordance to OCP's Bylaws and IP Policy. This can be found at http://opencompute.org/about/ocp-policies/. If you have any questions please contact OCP.