The OCP Future Technologies Symposium effort has been successfully led by Chairs Erik Riedel, and Lesya Dymyd, serving as the Symposium Program Chair.
The OCP Future Technologies Initiative (FTI) is a formal effort within the Foundation whose mission is to build a future-focused Community within OCP to serve as forward-looking funnel for ideas and technologies three-to-five years into the future.
In 2019, the Foundation initiated the OCP Future Technologies Symposium, a bi-annual event that features a call for posters, and brings together academia, the technology industry, startups, venture capital and analyst firms to solve future challenges facing the industry, and accelerate productization through partnerships and open source R&D. All submissions are featured and the winners are announced at the Summit events OCP holds each year.
At the end of 2020, the Symposium and Foundation leaders decided it was time to organize a regular interface with the OCP Community and the research industry to better focus their continued efforts and to initiate funding and commercialization of these early stage innovations. Focused on building pipelines of talent to work on specific problems, the OCP Future Technologies Initiative will ultimately hand off promising efforts to OCP Projects, with the ultimate goal of commercialization.
The Future Technologies Initiative will focus on three specific technical areas, in alignment with the OCP Foundation Incubation Committee leaders in their Technology Roadmap.
Each focus area will be led by an industry veteran, and will call on volunteers and expertise from a range of member companies, academia, and related standard bodies.
- Yang Seok Ki, CTO of Memory Solutions Lab and VP at Samsung Electronics America, has been selected as Technical Chair of the Data Centric Computing workstream.
- Weifeng Zhang, Chief Architect & VP of Software at Lightelligence, has been selected as Technical Chair of the AI HW-SW Design workstream.
- Ron Swartzentruber, Director of Engineering at Lightelligence, will lead the Short Reach Optical Interconnect workstream.
We would like to thank Murugasamy (Sammy) Nachimuthu, lead cloud solutions architect and Senior Principal Engineer at Intel Corporation, who successfully led the Cloud Service Model workstream to graduation from FTI, now within the Hardware Management Project.
This marks the second successful FTI workstream transition, on the heels of the transition of the Software Defined Memory workstream to create a new OCP sub-project, now called Composable Memory Systems.
We are launching our next workstream, Data Centric Computing, joining the FTI AI Hardware/Software co-design and Cloud Service Model workstreams. This is on the heels of FTI’s 1st major success, the transition of its Software Defined Memory workstream to create an OCP sub-project, now called Composable Memory Systems.
There are several ways to get involved in the OCP Future Technologies Initiative:
- Join the conversation in the FTI LinkedIn Group:
- Connect with the FTI team and the community, give advice and contribute.
- Join the OCP Future Technologies Symposium, in April 2023, in conjunction with the OCP Regional Summit
OCP Future Technologies Initiative Calendar
- April 24, 2024 OCP Future Technologies Symposium in Lisbon, Portugal
The calendar displayed here is updated nightly from the project's Groups.io Calendar