Data Center Facility/Operation Technology and Security
- Welcome to the OCP Operation Technology and Security Sub-Project. The Industrial Control Systems (ICS) that run our data centers are frequently designed with availability as the focus rather than mitigation of security risk or vulnerability. This has presented a unique security challenge across multiple industries from manufacturing to datacenters. We find this type of equipment is often lacking security fundamentals. Security fundamentals such as modern communication, authentication and authorization mechanisms that we would expect in critical equipment attached to a network are often missing.
Security issues with this type of equipment are not unique to data centers but are present in multiple industries such as manufacturing and energy. By combining efforts across multiple organizations and industries we can begin to drive a marked increase in the security of these systems and environments. The project's scope is focused on communications, authentication, monitoring and management.
- This Project is open to the public and we welcome all those who would like to be involved.
- Disclaimer: Please do not submit any confidential information to the Project Community. All presentation materials, proposals, meeting minutes and/or supporting documents are published by OCP and are open to the public in accordance to OCP's Bylaws and IP Policy. This can be found on the OCP OCP Policies page. If you have any questions please contact OCP.
Incubation Committee Representative
- - TBD (Rackspace)
To start we are focusing on what a baseline physical security guideline would look like for a COLO or data center, what types of communications standards and protocols would best enable secure comms of this equipment and how we best monitor it for security issues.
Physical Security Workstream
- Workstream Lead - Marcelo Campos (Roxtec)
Monitoring & Logging Workstream
- Workstream Lead - Eehern Wong (Google)
Secure Communication Guidelines Workstream
- Workstream Lead - Steve Scott (Facebook)
- If you would like to participate in any of the above workstreams, please reach out to Anita Nallathamby or the corresponding workstream lead.
- OCP community membership is required for participation in individual workstreams, however, we would like to encourage anyone who is interested in this work, to attend the monthly call, which is open to the larger community.
Regular Project Calls
This project meets every second Wednesday of every month at 10:30am ET