OCP Sustainability Initiative
Mission: Data center industry is moving towards net carbon zero goals over coming decade. OCP Sustainability Initiative is working to enable progress towards industry goals by addressing unique challenges and opportunities presented within Open Compute Project ecosystem. Initiative is working towards bringing Sustainability as the 5th tenet into OCP. Leveraging the expertise of the OCP community, we offer an open framework and resources for OCP members and data center industry – vendors, suppliers, and end users - to deploy industry best practices that promotes reusability and circularity.
Goals: Identify key steps in system and component design that require reimagination to promote reusability and circularity. Deliver roadmap to increase standardization of calculation, measurement, and disclosure of metrics across the IT product and data center life cycle. Publish (how-to) guidelines to offer frameworks for a supply-side resource consumption and implications on our common value chain Develop OCP-certified design and sourcing practices and creating circular operating modes Initiative Leadership Dharmesh Jani DJ (Facebook), Bill Carter (OCP) Workstreams cochaired by John Miranda (Intel) and Fahmida Bangert (ITRenew); Jordan Tse (FB)
Scope of Work Workstreams Circularity and Lifecycle Extension Led by John Miranda (Intel) and Fahmida Bangert (ITRenew) Mission: The primary mission of this workstream is to identify industry best practices that can be shared across vendors, suppliers as well as end user behavior that promotes re-usability and circularity. With a focus to understand and explain circularity from technical and operational point of view, the workstream is investigating key elements in system and component design, and how to design with reusability in mind. circularity Mailing List Metrics and Life Cycle Assessments (LCAs) Led by Jordan Tse (FB) Mission: To identify methods for assessing & reporting environmental impact associated with the key stages of the life cycle of a certified open compute project components, systems and devices, and data center facilities. The goal is to publish metrics and the methodology that are relevant for OCP community to improve design, development and deployment of sustainable data center infrastructure that strives to reduce carbon footprint with every new generation. Metrics-LCA Mailing List Call Calendar These meetings are recorded via audio and video. By participating you consent that these recordings may be made publicly available. Any presentation materials, proposals and meeting minutes are published on the respective project's wiki page and are open to the public in accordance to OCP's Bylaws and IP Policy. This can be found at http://opencompute.org/about/ocp-policies/. If you have any questions, please contact OCP.
- Welcome to the OCP Sustainability Initiative.
- Disclaimer: Please do not submit any confidential information. All presentation materials, proposals, meeting minutes and/or supporting documents are published by OCP and are open to the public in accordance to OCP's Bylaws and IP Policy. This can be found on the OCP OCP Policies page. If you have any questions please contact OCP.
- - Sustainability Presentation by Bill Carter (OCP)
- - 2021 Proposed Tenets Bill Carter (OCP)
- - Sustainability Workstream 2021
- Lifecycles Documents:
- Metrics & LCA Documents:
- - OCP Sustainability Metrics focus areas
- - OCP Sustainability & Circularity Metrics Prioritization (Shared Doc)
- - Metrics & LCA Workstream Meeting Notes (Shared Doc)
Please subscribe to join this list and stay updated on agenda, schedule changes, topics of interest and updates from each of the below workstreams.
Lifecycle of Systems/Components - led by [mailto: email@example.com John Miranda] (Intel) and Fahmida Bangert (ITRenew)
Mission: To identify key elements in system and component design on HW side and SW side (where applicable) that can improve re-usability at the highest level of consumption aka re-usability of a rack level system prefered over sub-rack systems over piece part systems (component level).
The primary mission of this workstream is to identify industry best practices that can be deployed across vendors, suppliers as well as end user behavior that promotes re-usability and circularity. Primary focus of the group is to solve circularity from technical and operational point of view.
Metrics - LCA - led by Jordan Tse (FB) and John Laban (OCP)
Mission: To define methods for assessing environmental impact associated with the key stages of the life cycle of a certified open compute project components, systems and devices. The goal of these methods is to publish metrics and the methodology that are relevant for OCP community to improve design, development and deployment of sustainable data center infrastructure that strives to reduce carbon footprint with every new generation.
Regular Project Calls
This initiative meets every two weeks on Wednesday from 10am-11am Pacific Time
Please join my meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
You can also dial in using your phone. United States (Toll Free): 1 866 899 4679 United States: +1 (571) 317-3116
Access Code: 245-170-117
Join from a video-conferencing room or system.
Dial in or type: 22.214.171.124 or inroomlink.goto.com
Meeting ID: 245 170 117
Or dial directly: firstname.lastname@example.org or 126.96.36.199##245170117
New to GoToMeeting? Get the app now and be ready when your first meeting starts: https://global.gotomeeting.com/install/245170117
Recordings from Past Calls
General Sustainability Meeting Calls and Minutes
Please come prepared with:
- Add any topics you want to cover in the next meeting in the document below under “Next Meeting’s Agenda”.
- We discussed three main areas where we can converge, during next call, we will start looking at ways to converge on these and sharpen our focus so we can deliver tangible output for the OCP community to act on (whatever that output maybe, as decided by this Sustainability core team).
- - August 11th, 2021
- - July 14th Call
- - June 9th Call The International EPD System (Sebastian Welling)
- - May 12th Call May 12th Meeting Minutes
- - April 14th Call April 14th Meeting Minutes
- - March 3rd Call and Mar 3rd Meeting Minutes
- - February 17th Call and Feb 17th Meeting Minutes
- - February 3rd (Kickoff Call) and Feb 3rd Meeting Minutes
Lifecyles Workstream Call Recordings
- - August 25th, 2021
- - August 11th, 2021
- - June 16th, 2021
- - June 2nd, 2021
- - May 19th, 2021
- - May 5th, 2021
- - April 9th, 2021