Cooling Environments/Heat Reuse
Welcome to the OCP Heat Reuse Sub-Project. Efficient energy usage of data centers is a key global concern and tenant of Open Compute Project (OCP).
ITE and data center design efficiency is just one factor in minimizing the carbon footprint associated with energy usage of a data center - use of renewable resources and reuse of its waste energy can have a positive impact as well.
Almost 100% of the energy used in a processor turns into heat.
Up until very recently this has been a liability and a challenge, immense quantity of heat needed to be removed employing even more energy for it. With the proper design, data center cooling systems can be converted into a heat source and a heat management opportunity that in turn converts the heat from a liability to an asset.
The OCP Heat Reuse subgroup explores these challenges and opportunities. Its goal is to suggest solutions to allow easier implementations of technologies aimed at harnessing the heat and turn it into profit instead of a cost.
- This Project is open to the public and we welcome all those who would like to be involved.
- Disclaimer: Please do not submit any confidential information to the Project Community. All presentation materials, proposals, meeting minutes and/or supporting documents are published by OCP and are open to the public in accordance to OCP's Bylaws and IP Policy. This can be found on the OCP OCP Policies page. If you have any questions please contact OCP.
Incubation Committee Representative
- - Justin Steadman (Rackspace)
- - Bret Lehman (PCX)
- - Madhusudan Iyengar (Google)
Main Sub-project Leads email address: email@example.com
- - Cosimo Pecchioli (Alfa Laval)
- - Jaime Comella (Cloud&Heat)
2021 10 05 Cloud & Heat Presentation - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TLUX1hSPj80qSw-4hZR6Dxm1r8ixuHfK/view?usp=sharing
2021 12 02 LUMI Presentation - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MPJQPl9Xz79R5EgN2X3DWUQTBrJO5PZo/view?usp=sharing
2021 12 14 NREL Presentation - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W6hG85K4Oc6wiIk-MxPiFbGH9Q5tVp2N/view?usp=sharing
2022 Heat Reuse Opportunity Summary - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Jp_h_ep0G2mCq8K0KlHLRi9I9fy49T9ZnLesAItAxGU/edit?usp=sharing
Regular Project Calls
Regular Project Calls
- - This project currently meets every other Tuesday at 1100 ET
Call-in info and source of truth @ http://opencompute.org/projects/projects-calendar/ (Time zone shown: Eastern Time)
If there is ever a conflict between calendar invites, the OCP Project Calendar info on the website prevails. This call is open to the public.
Tentative Call info:
Please join the meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone. https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/948388005
You can also dial in using your phone. United States (Toll Free): 1 866 899 4679 United States: +1 (571) 317-3116
Access Code: 948-388-005
For alternate numbers and/or if you are new to GoToMeeting?
Get the app now and be ready when your first meeting starts: https://global.gotomeeting.com/install/948388005.
If there is a cancellation, we will try our best to cancel >24hrs before the meeting by the calendars above.