The Open Compute Project Foundation (OCP) is pleased to announce that we will reach our 10-year anniversary milestone on October 3, 2021! I have had the good fortune of being involved with OCP starting with the second board meeting back in 2012. I served as CFO for the first few years, and then as C (...)
The mission of the OCP Future Technologies Symposium is to bring to the OCP Community a forward-looking funnel of technologies which focus on solving future problems facing the industry, and accelerate productization through partnerships and open source R&D. Also, it is a unique opportunity to expose a generation of up-and-coming, best-in-class students to the professional community for purposes of research, training and recruitment. The Global academic, startup and venture communities are invited to participate, as well as industrial organizations performing cutting-edge research related to data center technologies.
1. Innovation: to bring to the OCP Community a forward-looking funnel of new technologies and accelerate their productization
2. Technology scale: focus on technologies that can help grow, drive, and support the open hardware ecosystem in, near, and around the datacenter and beyond
3. People: connect best-in-class researchers to the professional community for purposes of collaboration, training and recruitment
By year-end 2022, a key success metric is adoption. Adoption can be either OCP members adopting technologies from Symposium, or investing in research
Technology Focus Areas
This year, the OCP Symposium announces Sustainability as a general topic of the event and opens up five technological tracks for authors to submit papers:
- Any topics relating to significantly improving the performance, sustainability, and/or efficiency of the transportation layer / means to move information between devices and locations, including network design and architecture, optical components, etc.
- High Performance Computing (HPC)
- Includes any topics aimed at improving the performance, sustainability and/or efficiency of performing large-scale, specialized computing applications, typically AI/ML workloads
- Data Center Efficiency
- Includes any solutions aimed at improving the performance, sustainability, and/or efficiency in how we design and/or operate Data Centers to reduce overall consumption of resources (water, power, materials)
- Systems (Server, Storage, Switches) and Power
- Any topics addressing improving the performance, sustainability, and/or efficiency of Servers, Storage Media and Switches. Also includes topics related to securely protecting data in the OCP ecosystem
- Other Data Center Sustainable Solutions
- If you have a transformative idea for OCP and Data Center hardware and you can't figure out how to fit into the above categories, please still submit!
Earth Day is a great time to look back on where this community has come from and the advancements we are making as stewards of earth’s resources. The Open Compute Project was founded on the principles of energy conservation and reduction of raw materials (e.g. vanity f (...)
Formal Project will bring the academic, research and entrepreneurial communities to their open source Community workstreams. Today the Open Compute Project Foundation (OCP) announces the formation of the OCP Future Technologies Initiative, a formal project within the Foundation whose mission is t (...)