Difference between revisions of "Server/Mezz/Update Archive"

From OpenCompute
Jump to: navigation, search
(Created page with "Mezz_Test_page1")
 
 
(4 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
Mezz_Test_page1
+
Archive of updates
 +
 
 +
 
 +
'''11/20 update'''
 +
 
 +
1. Updated specification(11/12) and pin definition(11/15) to the "updated doc session"; The spec still needs a lot of work in the coming a few weeks.
 +
 
 +
2. Thermal deck v7 is uploaded (same material as presented on 11/15)
 +
 
 +
 
 +
'''10/31 update'''
 +
 
 +
1. We did 4x working session so far and made good progress in pinout and mechanical profile
 +
 
 +
- 10/11 11:30am-3pm(PDT) - Done: TE/Dell-EMC/Intel/FB
 +
 
 +
- 10/18 9am-2pm(PDT) - Done: TE/Dell-EMC/Lenovo/Broadcom/Intel/FB
 +
 
 +
- 10/27 8am - 11am(PDT)  Done: – TE/Dell-EMC/Lenovo/Broadcom/Intel/FB
 +
 
 +
- 10/31 8:30am - 10am(PDT) Done: - (Pinout specific session) Mellanox / Broadcom / Intel / Dell-EMC / FB
 +
 
 +
- 11/3 8am-11am(PDT)
 +
 
 +
- 11/15 9am-5pm(PST)
 +
 
 +
2. Latest pin out and ME deck are posted at [http://www.opencompute.org/wiki/Server/Mezz#Updated_doc Table above]
 +
 
 +
3. Plan to post WIP specification draft after 11/3 workshop for broader review
 +
 
 +
4. We will cancel the 2017/11/01 meeting as FB team has a conflict
 +
 
 +
 
 +
 
 +
'''10/18 Update'''
 +
 
 +
- Intel/Dell-EMC/TE/FB joined the spec drafting working session on 10/11 and worked on these topics: [http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=089dc36e019eadfcbdc590837e7e0dc6 framework], sections, pinout, connector, specification drafting logistics.
 +
 
 +
- With many inputs from community, FB updated Mechanical deck to v3; Key changes are 1) fine tuning module width by 2mm 2) proposing 1 extra sizes, and total 3x sizes with different width. Detail see [http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=520161aaf734e0b8690a9003b73bd57c Mechanical Discussion_v03_20171018]
 +
 
 +
- Pinout is being actively working on. Intel is taking lead on proposing and maintaining the draft; an updated version can be found [http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=aa9736b73845229c4dcd6cf47c74296e [here]]
 +
 
 +
- We will move from Fuze to GoToWebinar for project calls in Nov. 10/18 call is likely the last call on Fuze. More details to follow in mailing list and calendar.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
'''9/20 Update'''
 +
 
 +
- The subgroup closed on all other major options after a few months of iterations. #14 is the clear preference in subgroup. Details and specification will be worked out around this option.
 +
 
 +
- Update main deck: [http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=a1c12b8a366ceae9e18c5e1ccacf1919 OCP_NIC_3.0_discussion_r10_20170920]
 +
 
 +
- Update [http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=ebd99e48282324f42e945fe1171e3c50 mechanical 3D package] to r02
 +
 
 +
- Update [http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=b9049cac01890df4354859ff2c028fa5 mechanical deck] to r02
 +
 
 +
 
 +
 
 +
'''9/6 Update'''
 +
 
 +
- Add updated doc session for better tracking of latest docs and community presentations
 +
 
 +
- Update general deck to v9, thermal deck to v6
 +
 
 +
- Intend to exit phase 2 by 9/20 with option #14
 +
 
 +
- Change project name from "OCP Mezz NIC 3.0" to "OCP NIC 3.0" as option #14 is not Mezz style
 +
 
 +
 
 +
'''8/23 Update'''
 +
 
 +
[http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=bf394a4b8394ece800712a690a06bf57 HPE's presentation on 8/16 call]
 +
 
 +
 
 +
'''8/22 Update'''
 +
 
 +
Thermal results and files
 +
 
 +
- [http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=76bd6a84a9ef716ea21a915c466277ac Option #13 with QSFP heat sink]
 +
 
 +
- [http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=3e29fd09df03360c1d2457348a81f453 Option #14 with QSFP heat sink]
 +
 
 +
- [http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=ebcdfbcd14d24422b8d860bb1f6686dd Slides - Update of thermal results]
 +
 
 +
- [http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=a5e561283cbdcaaad60e1c5b0f7a19c7 Summary of updated simulation results]
 +
 
 +
 
 +
'''8/16 Update'''
 +
 
 +
[http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=1d34f1178a223488716abf5f26641871 Master Deck r08 dated 8/16/2017]
 +
 
 +
[http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=7fe67b5788e081c70387d371e29218fe Mechanical update r01 dated 8/16/2017]
 +
 
 +
[http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=209581638a7781772c8c6314ea384fd6 Mechanical - 3D of option 14 v1]
 +
 
 +
 
 +
'''8/2 Update'''
 +
 
 +
'''1. Update to deck'''
 +
 
 +
[http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=269e6bc3cee73239105c5dafb09f31a2 Master Deck r07 dated 8/1/2017]
 +
 
 +
'''2. 8/2/2017 Meeting Agenda'''
 +
 
 +
'''General update'''
 +
 
 +
- Form factor stability goal (2+5+2 goal)
 +
 
 +
- Update the investigation of #14
 +
 
 +
- Revisit 1x or 2x form factor (tradeoff between simplicity and flexibility)
 +
 
 +
- Heads up of stating pin list discussion
 +
 
 +
'''Possible project name change'''
 +
 
 +
- One of the major option(#14) being looked at is not technical a "Mezz"
 +
 
 +
- Possible name change of project if the group is clearly trending toward #14
 +
 
 +
'''Mechanical intro''' - by Joshua Held @Facebook
 +
 
 +
- Josh will talk about coming activities in mechanical design of Mezz NIC
 +
 
 +
'''9/25 Workshop @ Dallas, TX'''
 +
 
 +
- Call for presentation; topical can be technically, or sharing how your experience with OCP Mezz NIC
 +
 
 +
- Suggest to drop me an email if you intend to attend (optional)
 +
- Free to register; instruction sent in mailing list
 +
 
 +
 
 +
'''7/25/2017'''
 +
 
 +
1. Update to deck
 +
 
 +
[http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=102b0d696eb386222ce4d7b2b857b6cf Master Deck V6 dated 7/25]
 +
 
 +
 
 +
'''7/14/2017'''
 +
 
 +
1. Update to deck
 +
 
 +
[http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=15acc7dc37ae8d47e24e70098352ef1b Master Deck V5 dated 7/14]
 +
 
 +
2. Update to Schedule
 +
 
 +
[http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=1f877ea9b23cc8ca217e586d079835eb Schedule update v3 dated 7/14]
 +
 
 +
3. Mezz subgroup will meet @ OCP Engineering workshop Sep 25th, 2017
 +
 
 +
[http://www.dcdconverged.com/conferences/colo-cloud/benefits/ocp-engineering-workshop More info here]
 +
 
 +
 
 +
'''7/5/2017'''
 +
 
 +
See below material for tomorrow's call:
 +
 
 +
[http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=80ad70edb0793750e9ffa844277f642d Corrected thermal model: Cases A1-A5]
 +
 
 +
[http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=969afb027f5266965c7d67fd67f4c0d9 Corrected thermal model: Cases A6-A10]
 +
 
 +
[http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=db9e67e52055bf286e60c76a77395de5 Thermal model with QSFP heat sink: Cases A1-A5]
 +
 
 +
[http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=4124bdef6c52904969309103f6fcd3d4 Thermal model with QSFP heat sink: Cases A6-A10]
 +
 
 +
[http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=142e75071a9a6c98f8887c6005bb064d Summary of updated simulation results]
 +
 
 +
[http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=7373b67f33c85773220f26801a199b7f Presentation slides]
 +
 
 +
--- '''Agenda'''
 +
 
 +
1. Updates and corrections to thermal models
 +
 
 +
2. Impact of QSFP heat sink
 +
 
 +
3. Impact of contact resistance on QSFP heat sink performance
 +
 
 +
4. Go over a few topics for discussion
 +
 
 +
 
 +
'''6/20/2017'''
 +
 
 +
See below for material for tomorrow's call:
 +
 
 +
[http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=c6cd05fb6c2046c878ac7c9ddb010e31 Summary of simulation results under stand-by power]
 +
 
 +
[http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=76c7973c379d6849e7bc0d96eeb95a73 Presentation slides]
 +
 
 +
--- '''Agenda'''
 +
 
 +
1. Review latest round of simulation results
 +
 
 +
2. Go over a few topics for discussion
 +
 
 +
 
 +
'''6/6/2017'''
 +
 
 +
See below for material for tomorrow's call:
 +
 
 +
[http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=7d19f143ec3f3109117904caf4a198cc Updated thermal model: Cases A1-A5]
 +
 
 +
[http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=776e636799258da85c562f69e22e05ae Updated thermal model: Cases A6-A10]
 +
 
 +
[http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=7018dd736da61bf1a44030d4a582ce26 Updated thermal model: Cases D1-D8]
 +
 
 +
[http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=b86d25485cf6f4c191c9c2fec2806e73 Summary of simulation results using updated thermal models]
 +
 
 +
[http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=0f43d212fb481bca0efd5befbed07af1 Presentation slides]
 +
 
 +
--- '''Agenda'''
 +
 
 +
1. Review changes to thermal models based on feedback from the community
 +
 
 +
2. Review latest round of simulation results
 +
 
 +
3. Go over a few topics for discussion
 +
 
 +
 
 +
'''5/16/2017'''
 +
 
 +
Here are the update in the past 2x weeks, and material for tomorrow's call:
 +
 
 +
[http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=5fd1d10bed7d85c6876478a975b7c867 Updated thermal simulation case deck:Thermal Simulation Feedback_20170517]
 +
 
 +
[http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=9e5450687380a5c97feab23a3c0ccaf3 Update thermal simulation case spreadsheet: Updated Thermal Simulation Cases_20170511]
 +
 
 +
Additional questions to NIC suppliers:
 +
 
 +
- Standby(S5) power of NIC, or ratio of P_Standby / P_Max
 +
 
 +
- P_standby of Optical modules
 +
 
 +
 
 +
 
 +
'''4/28/2017'''
 +
 
 +
As we kicked off the discussion of Mezz thermal simulation on 4/19, here are the updates: 
 +
 
 +
[http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=cd97fcf9d20789a0128cdb4380f26f69 OCP Mezz 3.0 Thermal Simulation Description]
 +
 
 +
[http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=1a8ba4c5533db8696ea9fd1f5a9d8a8b OCP Mezz 3.0 Thermal Simulation Package]
 +
 
 +
Please give your feedback in mailing list and we will talk about it on next call on 5/3.
 +
 
 +
'''4/17/2017'''
 +
 
 +
We have an updated schedule for comment and feedback:
 +
 +
[http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=85117a6af40281399d13b87745f2c1ae Schedule Update V2]
 +
 
 +
Mezz 3.0 Survey is closed with 5 participants; Summary with company names masked can be found here:
 +
 +
[http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=2f76191e6e3f7af67373148de827db77 Mezz 3.0 Survey filled 201704016]
 +
 
 +
A few updates were made to the master deck:
 +
[http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=a906c9f2492d3d74e1053a4a82ba8331 Mezz 3.0 General Update]
 +
 
 +
Our next call is on 4/19/2017 Wednesday 9am PDT(2nd call of the month). As always, call-in info can be found [http://opencompute.org/community/ocp-calendars here].
 +
 
 +
--- '''Agenda'''
 +
 
 +
1. Sync with community about schedule refresher and get feedback for schedule and milestone
 +
 
 +
2. Summary of survey
 +
 
 +
3. John Fernandes will share methodology for thermal simulation
 +
 
 +
4. Call for more feedback on a few options (9,10,11,12)
 +
 
 +
 
 +
 
 +
 
 +
 
 +
'''3/29/2017'''
 +
 
 +
1. Ramp NIC survey template version to v03 to have more exact wording.  [http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=888e8eb91172c13653c0bf733ca3b27f Template v03]
 +
 
 +
2. Due to the limitation of mailing-list with attachment, please send the filled template to [mailto:jia.ning@ocproject.net jia.ning@ocproject.net]. Jia will aggregate and update to the wiki based on your selection of the confidential level (cell B6,B7 of the template v03)
 +
 
 +
3. [http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=399a90213e5fe9004c79e7bd0be5041e Schedule proposal v01] is available for review and comment. A few notes:
 +
 
 +
- Overall it includes 3x stages: Information collection => Narrow down direction => work out details and 1st draft
 +
 
 +
- The v01 schedule is on the aggressive side, i.e. the best case scenario when everything goes as expected.
 +
 
 +
- Please review it, give inputs in mailing-list, and discuss in the call next week.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
 
 +
'''3/24/2017'''
 +
 
 +
An [http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=4baf98af7f736844e149508321370650 improved version of survey template v02] is created.
 +
All NIC suppliers are strongly recommend to participate to influence Mezz 3.0.
 +
Inputs from System supplier and Hyper-scale/CSP are welcome as well.
 +
 
 +
Agenda for next meeting (4/5)
 +
 
 +
1. Review overall Mezz 3.0 work schedule
 +
 
 +
2. Review the boundary with the context of major options
 +
 
 +
3. Pick major option branches to perform more detailed study
 +
 
 +
 
 +
'''3/22/2017'''
 +
 
 +
A survey of boundary condition of typical use cases is going on.
 +
 
 +
Detail see [http://lists.opencompute.org/pipermail/opencompute-mezz-card/2017-March/000003.html here]
 +
 
 +
Please reply to mailing-list to share your boundary condition of Mezz3.0 or write to [mailto:jia.ning@ocproject.net Jia Ning]
 +
 
 +
'''3/14/2017'''
 +
 
 +
1. [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9vg974Ww_4 Video of 3/17/2017 OCP Server workshop talk - Mezz 2.0 and beyond]
 +
 
 +
2. [http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=6f58019848967b203deefef128c0aa04 Slide deck of 3/9/2017 workshop ]
 +
 
 +
3. [http://files.opencompute.org/oc/public.php?service=files&t=98ba555198e7083741fefbbf6794c12d Visco file for placement study]

Latest revision as of 05:22, 3 January 2018

Archive of updates


11/20 update

1. Updated specification(11/12) and pin definition(11/15) to the "updated doc session"; The spec still needs a lot of work in the coming a few weeks.

2. Thermal deck v7 is uploaded (same material as presented on 11/15)


10/31 update

1. We did 4x working session so far and made good progress in pinout and mechanical profile

- 10/11 11:30am-3pm(PDT) - Done: TE/Dell-EMC/Intel/FB

- 10/18 9am-2pm(PDT) - Done: TE/Dell-EMC/Lenovo/Broadcom/Intel/FB

- 10/27 8am - 11am(PDT) Done: – TE/Dell-EMC/Lenovo/Broadcom/Intel/FB

- 10/31 8:30am - 10am(PDT) Done: - (Pinout specific session) Mellanox / Broadcom / Intel / Dell-EMC / FB

- 11/3 8am-11am(PDT)

- 11/15 9am-5pm(PST)

2. Latest pin out and ME deck are posted at Table above

3. Plan to post WIP specification draft after 11/3 workshop for broader review

4. We will cancel the 2017/11/01 meeting as FB team has a conflict


10/18 Update

- Intel/Dell-EMC/TE/FB joined the spec drafting working session on 10/11 and worked on these topics: framework, sections, pinout, connector, specification drafting logistics.

- With many inputs from community, FB updated Mechanical deck to v3; Key changes are 1) fine tuning module width by 2mm 2) proposing 1 extra sizes, and total 3x sizes with different width. Detail see Mechanical Discussion_v03_20171018

- Pinout is being actively working on. Intel is taking lead on proposing and maintaining the draft; an updated version can be found [here]

- We will move from Fuze to GoToWebinar for project calls in Nov. 10/18 call is likely the last call on Fuze. More details to follow in mailing list and calendar.


9/20 Update

- The subgroup closed on all other major options after a few months of iterations. #14 is the clear preference in subgroup. Details and specification will be worked out around this option.

- Update main deck: OCP_NIC_3.0_discussion_r10_20170920

- Update mechanical 3D package to r02

- Update mechanical deck to r02


9/6 Update

- Add updated doc session for better tracking of latest docs and community presentations

- Update general deck to v9, thermal deck to v6

- Intend to exit phase 2 by 9/20 with option #14

- Change project name from "OCP Mezz NIC 3.0" to "OCP NIC 3.0" as option #14 is not Mezz style


8/23 Update

HPE's presentation on 8/16 call


8/22 Update

Thermal results and files

- Option #13 with QSFP heat sink

- Option #14 with QSFP heat sink

- Slides - Update of thermal results

- Summary of updated simulation results


8/16 Update

Master Deck r08 dated 8/16/2017

Mechanical update r01 dated 8/16/2017

Mechanical - 3D of option 14 v1


8/2 Update

1. Update to deck

Master Deck r07 dated 8/1/2017

2. 8/2/2017 Meeting Agenda

General update

- Form factor stability goal (2+5+2 goal)

- Update the investigation of #14

- Revisit 1x or 2x form factor (tradeoff between simplicity and flexibility)

- Heads up of stating pin list discussion

Possible project name change

- One of the major option(#14) being looked at is not technical a "Mezz"

- Possible name change of project if the group is clearly trending toward #14

Mechanical intro - by Joshua Held @Facebook

- Josh will talk about coming activities in mechanical design of Mezz NIC

9/25 Workshop @ Dallas, TX

- Call for presentation; topical can be technically, or sharing how your experience with OCP Mezz NIC

- Suggest to drop me an email if you intend to attend (optional) - Free to register; instruction sent in mailing list


7/25/2017

1. Update to deck

Master Deck V6 dated 7/25


7/14/2017

1. Update to deck

Master Deck V5 dated 7/14

2. Update to Schedule

Schedule update v3 dated 7/14

3. Mezz subgroup will meet @ OCP Engineering workshop Sep 25th, 2017

More info here


7/5/2017

See below material for tomorrow's call:

Corrected thermal model: Cases A1-A5

Corrected thermal model: Cases A6-A10

Thermal model with QSFP heat sink: Cases A1-A5

Thermal model with QSFP heat sink: Cases A6-A10

Summary of updated simulation results

Presentation slides

--- Agenda

1. Updates and corrections to thermal models

2. Impact of QSFP heat sink

3. Impact of contact resistance on QSFP heat sink performance

4. Go over a few topics for discussion


6/20/2017

See below for material for tomorrow's call:

Summary of simulation results under stand-by power

Presentation slides

--- Agenda

1. Review latest round of simulation results

2. Go over a few topics for discussion


6/6/2017

See below for material for tomorrow's call:

Updated thermal model: Cases A1-A5

Updated thermal model: Cases A6-A10

Updated thermal model: Cases D1-D8

Summary of simulation results using updated thermal models

Presentation slides

--- Agenda

1. Review changes to thermal models based on feedback from the community

2. Review latest round of simulation results

3. Go over a few topics for discussion


5/16/2017

Here are the update in the past 2x weeks, and material for tomorrow's call:

Updated thermal simulation case deck:Thermal Simulation Feedback_20170517

Update thermal simulation case spreadsheet: Updated Thermal Simulation Cases_20170511

Additional questions to NIC suppliers:

- Standby(S5) power of NIC, or ratio of P_Standby / P_Max

- P_standby of Optical modules


4/28/2017

As we kicked off the discussion of Mezz thermal simulation on 4/19, here are the updates:

OCP Mezz 3.0 Thermal Simulation Description

OCP Mezz 3.0 Thermal Simulation Package

Please give your feedback in mailing list and we will talk about it on next call on 5/3.

4/17/2017

We have an updated schedule for comment and feedback:

Schedule Update V2

Mezz 3.0 Survey is closed with 5 participants; Summary with company names masked can be found here:

Mezz 3.0 Survey filled 201704016

A few updates were made to the master deck: Mezz 3.0 General Update

Our next call is on 4/19/2017 Wednesday 9am PDT(2nd call of the month). As always, call-in info can be found here.

--- Agenda

1. Sync with community about schedule refresher and get feedback for schedule and milestone

2. Summary of survey

3. John Fernandes will share methodology for thermal simulation

4. Call for more feedback on a few options (9,10,11,12)



3/29/2017

1. Ramp NIC survey template version to v03 to have more exact wording. Template v03

2. Due to the limitation of mailing-list with attachment, please send the filled template to jia.ning@ocproject.net. Jia will aggregate and update to the wiki based on your selection of the confidential level (cell B6,B7 of the template v03)

3. Schedule proposal v01 is available for review and comment. A few notes:

- Overall it includes 3x stages: Information collection => Narrow down direction => work out details and 1st draft

- The v01 schedule is on the aggressive side, i.e. the best case scenario when everything goes as expected.

- Please review it, give inputs in mailing-list, and discuss in the call next week.


3/24/2017

An improved version of survey template v02 is created. All NIC suppliers are strongly recommend to participate to influence Mezz 3.0. Inputs from System supplier and Hyper-scale/CSP are welcome as well.

Agenda for next meeting (4/5)

1. Review overall Mezz 3.0 work schedule

2. Review the boundary with the context of major options

3. Pick major option branches to perform more detailed study


3/22/2017

A survey of boundary condition of typical use cases is going on.

Detail see here

Please reply to mailing-list to share your boundary condition of Mezz3.0 or write to Jia Ning

3/14/2017

1. Video of 3/17/2017 OCP Server workshop talk - Mezz 2.0 and beyond

2. Slide deck of 3/9/2017 workshop

3. Visco file for placement study